Collectible Merchandise Also Available in the Amtrak Store
WASHINGTON – Amtrak fans across the country may soon spot a few freshly painted locomotives featuring new anniversary logos rolling down the tracks as America’s Railroad® celebrates 50 years of service this year. The first of six different commemorative 50th anniversary locomotives has already entered service on the national network.
“We chose locomotives already budgeted for new paint as part of our life cycle preventative maintenance program and used the opportunity to celebrate this significant milestone on the most iconic component of our business,” said Amtrak President Stephen Gardner. “The locomotive designs uniquely honor our heritage and our vision of connecting communities, economies and families nationwide.”
The commemorative locomotive list includes:
- P42 #46 in “Phase V 50th” – The standard Amtrak livery for the past two decades with our “Connecting America for 50 Years” slogan including a large golden yellow 50.
- P42 in “Midnight Blue”: An all new one-of-a-kind paint scheme celebrating the dedication and commitment of our employees moving people around the clock and across the nation.
- P42 in “Phase VI” – The first adaptation of the latest Amtrak livery phase on a P42.
- P42 in “Phase I” – A rendition of Amtrak’s first livery phase dating back to 1972.
- P42 in “Dash 8 Phase III” – The award-winning livery designed for the Dash 8 locomotive fleet in the early 90s, adapted for the first time to a P42 locomotive.
- ALC-42 #301 in “Day 1” scheme – A historic throwback to the unique design created for the first day of operations on May 1, 1971, applied to Amtrak’s newest locomotive.
Each P42 locomotive is being painted and overhauled at the Amtrak Beech Grove shops in Beech Grove, Ind., rolling out over the coming months and entering service across the national network. Employees will also ensure that these locomotives are maintained to high performance and safety standards. ALC-42 #301 is currently being manufactured by Siemens in Sacramento, Calif. and is expected to be delivered in April to undergo testing in the Northeast Corridor before entering service on the national network.
In addition to the commemorative locomotives, 50th Anniversary collectible items are also now available for purchase at the Amtrak store, including t-shirts, glasses, a challenge coin, pins and other celebratory Amtrak gear.
Photo Gallery: 50th Anniversary Commemorative Painted Locomotives