WASHINGTON – Amtrak and The Vermont Agency of Transportation (AOT) today announced that tickets are now available for purchase on their state-supported train services for travel beginning on Monday, July 19. This includes the Vermonter, which provides daily service between Washington, DC and St. Albans, Vermont, with reserved seating for Business Class customers, and the Ethan Allen Express, which offers daily service between New York City and Rutland, Vermont, with connecting service to Washington, D.C.
“We are pleased to resume our service in the state of Vermont, as now Vermont residents and visitors can see friends and family they have missed over the past year and experience all the state has to offer,” said Amtrak Vice President, State Supported Services Ray Lang. “As people feel comfortable traveling again, we are honored that our customers trust us on their journey as we are excited to welcome them back onboard.”
“VTrans is very excited to announce the return of the State’s beloved Amtrak trains-the Vermonter and the Ethan Allen Express- for full service beginning on July 19. The trains will be running on the same schedules that were in place when the state suspended service on March 26, 2020. We appreciate the patience of all of our customers, including the many Vermonters who relied on these trains for transportation when the pandemic struck” said Transportation Secretary Joe Flynn. “The Governor’s Vermont Forward Plan provides for a full reopening by July 4th, meaning that there will be no capacity restrictions or quarantine requirements for visitors to Vermont’s scenic vistas, mountain biking and hiking trails, as well as its charming New England villages and towns bursting with art, history and culture.”
Amtrak has made and continues to make incredible investments to come out of the pandemic as a new and improved company. By combining its safety efforts with the guidance of a medical director and partnership with George Washington University Milken Institute School of Public Health, customers can have a renewed sense of confidence with the following measures:
- Face coverings: Please be advised Federal law requires all customers and employees to wear a mask at all times while onboard trains and in stations, regardless of vaccination status or state or local laws. Refusing to wear a mask is a violation of federal law; passengers may be subject to penalties under federal law, denied boarding, removed from the train and banned from future travel in the event of noncompliance.
- Air Quality: Customers can travel with extra confidence knowing all our trains are equipped with onboard filtration systems with a fresh air exchange rate every 4-5 minutes.
- Real-time seat availability: When searching for travel, the percentage of seats sold displays next to each trip option and adjusts as customers make reservations. This gives customers the opportunity to book a train that is less crowded. If capacity exceeds comfort levels, customers can change their ticket without incurring a fee (fare difference may apply).
- Fee waivers: Amtrak is waiving all change fees for reservations made by September 6, 2021.
- Purchasing Tickets: See https://vermontvacation.com/landing-pages/travel-resources/getting-here/by-rail and the Amtrak app for further information and to book, board, check train status and access information from the convenience and safety of a mobile device. Amtrak encourages boarding with eTickets, which conductors scan from the app.
For More Information
- Amtrak Contact
- 202 906.3860
For 50 years, Amtrak has connected America and transformed transportation by modernizing train travel, and building for the future. Amtrak will continue to play an important role in the national transportation network for the next 50 years and beyond by operating a safe, environmentally efficient and fiscally responsible business by providing travelers with an experience that sets a new standard. Book travel, check train status, access your eTicket and more through the Amtrak app. Learn more at Amtrak.com and connect with us on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn.