Tournament Comes Back to Baltimore for First Time in 70 Years
BALTIMORE – Amtrak has been named the official transportation partner for the 2022 CIAA Men’s & Women’s Basketball Tournament in coordination with Visit Baltimore. The tournament is taking place in-person at Royal Farms Arena in Baltimore between Feb. 22-26 following a successful virtual experience in 2021. This is the first time the tournament will be held in Baltimore since 1952, and it’s also the first new location for the event since 2005.
As background, the CIAA (Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association) is the nation’s first African American athletic conference, and the annual basketball tournament is one of the most highly attended basketball tournaments among all NCAA divisions.
“As part of our ongoing diversity and inclusion initiatives, Amtrak is proud to partner with Visit Baltimore to help sponsor this event and to support all of the athletes participating in the 2022 CIAA Tournament,” said Amtrak Assistant Vice President of Talent, Culture & Inclusion, Benjamin Sims.
The tournament will include 12 Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) made up of 24 teams of men and women. Universities participating include:
- Lincoln University, Chester County, Pa.
- Bowie State University, Bowie, Md.
- Virginia Union University, Richmond, Va.
- Virginia State University, Petersburg, Va.
- Elizabeth City State University, Elizabeth City, N.C.
- Fayetteville State University, Fayetteville, N.C.
- Claflin University, Orangeburg, S.C.
- Johnson C Smith University, Charlotte, N.C.
- Livingstone College, Salisbury, N.C.
- Winston-Salem State University, Winston-Salem, N.C.
- Saint Augustine’s University, Raleigh, N.C.
- Shaw University, Raleigh N.C.
Baltimore is excited to welcome thousands of fans, alumni and players for a weekend of reunions, basketball and celebrations and Amtrak is ready to help take them there! Amtrak offers convenient service to downtown Baltimore with easy boarding, spacious comfortable seats and a generous baggage policy that can easily get event attendees to the heart of the action. Students travelling to Baltimore for the tournament can take advantage of Amtrak’s 15% off student discount. For more information about the tournament, visit the event website.