With Enhanced Safety and Cleaning Measures in Place
PORTLAND, ME -The Northern New England Passenger Rail Authority (NNEPRA), has announced that the Amtrak Downeaster will operate a regular full schedule, which currently includes four daily round-trips between Brunswick and Boston, throughout the upcoming holiday travel period including Thanksgiving Day. Enhanced safety and cleaning measures remain in place. In past years, an abridged holiday schedule was offered, but the full schedule provides more options for travelers this year and supports social distancing. Customers are encouraged to book tickets early to guarantee availability.
“We hope to make the 2020 holiday travel experience as pleasant as possible and are committed to providing a safe and comfortable travel experience that our riders can depend on,” said NNEPRA Marketing Director, Natalie Bogart. Downeaster trains are sanitized daily and deep-cleaned between round-trips, face coverings are required for all passengers and crews on board and at stations, and the number of passengers per train is limited to 50% of available seating capacity to allow for more physical distancing. All trains are equipped with onboard filtration systems with a fresh air exchange rate every 4-5 minutes.
Travelers are encouraged to review these travel tips:
- Download the Amtrak App for touchless travel. Book travel, check train capacity, modify reservations and access other information from the convenience and safety of a mobile device. Tickets are scanned on board.
- Wear face coverings. All customers and employees are required to wear a face mask that fully covers the entire mouth and nose, fits snugly against the side of the face, and secures under the chin.
- Plan Ahead. Arrive at least 15 minutes before departure. Signage has been installed on the platforms and in stations to promote physical distancing and sanitizer is available
- Click here for additional information on the steps Amtrak is taking to protect the health and safety of customers and crews.
- Click here for schedule and fare information.
For More Information
- Amtrak Contact
- 202 906.3860
Natalie A. Bogart
- NNEPRA Contact
- 207.780.1000 x108
Amtrak is setting a new standard of travel. To simplify and safeguard the travel experience, new cleaning and convenience measures are part of every customer’s contactless journey – from booking to arrival. Leveraging a full-time medical director and public health and safety team, we are committed to operating a safe, environmentally efficient and fiscally responsible business. Book travel, check train status, access your eTicket and more through the Amtrak app. Learn more at Amtrak.com.
About the Downeaster
The Downeaster is operated by Amtrak with funds made available through the Northern New England Passenger Rail Authority. The Downeaster serves 12 communities from Brunswick to Boston, and features spacious seating, free WiFi, and a Café on board each train. For more information visit AmtrakDowneaster.com..