Seattle will join communities to celebrate the importance of trains
SEATTLE — The seventh annual National Train Day on Saturday, May 10, 2014, has its best-ever slate of programming, with nearly 300 events in 48 states already signed up to celebrate why Trains Matter. In Seattle, the event will be held at the King Street Station (303 South Jackson Street Seattle, WA 98104) from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. The event will feature Culinary Demonstrations by Chef Tom Douglas at 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Other fun activities include a Model Train Display and Train Equipment Displays such as a Superliner Diner, Sleeper, Coach, Pacific Parlor Car and Wrapped Arcade Car on an Amtrak Locomotive.
Special activities available from our partners include:
- Chuggington, the hit preschool television series on Disney Junior, will provide free trainthemed kids’ activities including arts & crafts, photo opportunities, and train play tables.
- Dovetail Games will be offering a free download of the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner version of the hit game “Train Simulator 2014.”
- Operation Lifesaver, whose mission is to end collisions, deaths and injuries at railroad crossings and on rail property, will be handing out free giveaways and providing interactive opportunities to learn more about rail safety and promoting its new “See Tracks? Think Train” campaign.
- A rare look at historic and unique rail train equipment will be presented by Amtrak Vacations. AmtrakVacations.com offers 300 long distance rail packages across the U.S. to more than 40 cities and 46 U.S. contiguous states.
Amtrak welcomes more events by encouraging rail passengers and enthusiasts to host their own National Train Day 2014. Details on each event and information on how to host are posted at NationalTrainDay.com and additional communities are welcome to participate. Events and information will be added to the website frequently.
- Join us in celebrating why trains matter to Washington on 5/10. Find a free event near you: www.nationaltrainday.com #AmtrakNTD
- .@Amtrak brings America together. Come celebrate why trains matter with us on 5/10! www.nationaltrainday.com #AmtrakNTD
- Enjoy culinary demonstrations by @ChefTomDouglas on May 10 and celebrate why trains matter! www.nationaltrainday.com #AmtrakNTD
- Happy @Amtrak @natltrainday from Seattle! (Photo) #AmtrakNTD
- Today we celebrate why trains matter to Washington at #AmtrakNTD Seattle (Photo)
- Celebrating why trains matter with our own tour of @Amtrak’s Coast Starlight train equipment! #AmtrakNTD (photo)
Amtrak is America’s Railroad®, the nation’s intercity passenger rail service and its high-speed rail operator. Amtrak and its state and commuter partners move people, the economy and the nation forward. Formally known as the National Railroad Passenger Corporation, Amtrak is governed by a nine member board of directors appointed by the President of the United States and confirmed by the U.S. Senate. Anthony R. Coscia is board chairman and Jeffrey R. Moreland is vice chairman. In FY 2014, nearly 31 million passengers traveled on Amtrak on more than 300 daily trains – at speeds up to 150 mph (241 kph) – that connect 46 states, the District of Columbia and three Canadian Provinces. Enjoy the journey® at Amtrak.com or call 800-USA-RAIL for schedules, fares and more information. Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter (@Amtrak) and check out our blog at blog.amtrak.com.
About Amtrak Vacations
Amtrak Vacations combines the thrill of riding the rails with inclusive travel packages for one-of-a-kind vacations throughout North America. Travelers can choose from a number of product types including our fully-escorted and independent rail journeys, rail and sail vacations, family adventures, rail getaways and special programs. From fun and fast getaways to leisurely train and cruise combinations, our vacations are inclusive of hotel and on-board accommodations, sightseeing tours, unique experiences and entertainment. For more information visit www.AmtrakVacations.com.
About Operation Lifesaver
Trains – passenger, light-rail, and freight – offer among the most efficient transportation available to move us into the 21st century. U.S. Department of Transportation projections calling for substantial increases in rail transport over the next three decades mean that we, along with rail safety partners in the rail industry and at the federal, state and local levels, must work together to meet the safety challenges that accompany a rail renaissance. As advanced technology helps build quieter, faster trains, our responsibility to teach people how to be safe around them increases, too. At Operation Lifesaver, we’re committed to raising awareness and improving public safety on and around highway-rail grade crossings and tracks through public awareness and education; we’re committed to saving lives.